Tuesday 8 May 2012

Q4 - How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages? Shaquile







 
Construction: final cut pro is the main program I used for video editing. As I was new to this program, initially it was difficult to get familiar with the language and unusual setting however, the more I used the program, the more familiar I became. Most of the language used was in the semantic field of video and so I had to learn about specific terminology such as ‘transitions’ ‘credits’ and ‘titles’. Transitions are the effects used in between clips and they are used to give off different effects. For example, in my trailer I used the static transition to give off the effect that the person filming the clips was using a bad camera. I also used video effect such as the camcorder effect to imply the clip was shot using a camcorder.

I used YouTube to look at video effect tutorials, which assisted me and provided tips to manipulate video clips for a desired effect. For additional help I subscribed to particular YouTube channels so whenever the person uploads a new video clip, my YouTube account will immediately inform me. I also used YouTube to upload my horror trailer as YouTube has statistical features, which inform you of who from around the world is viewing your product. It also tells you which country has viewed your product the most times and it also allows people to leave comments.

Logic pro is the program I used to record my sound effect and manipulate sounds. I also used this program to orchestrate my teaser trailer soundtrack. This was a difficult task as I found it hard to create a sound track which would compete with mainstream horror films, however, I then realised that horror soundtracks do not have to have the most impressive soundtrack and that sometimes simplistic sounds are more effective, for example in the Human centipede trailer the amount of sounds used are kept to a minimal whereas in the ‘Saw’ trailer the soundtrack was orchestrated as a as a music piece with percussion instruments.
 
Blogger is a website which has many functions, it can be used as a personal diary where you can upload your thoughts and ideas, it can be used more constructively to upload college projects and work it can also be used as a personal space to voice your opinions on specific affairs. Most importantly, a blog can be used as whatever you want it to be. My blog was by my production group ‘Tempa Productions’ to keep note of our production, research and planning/ progress of our main project: creating a horror teaser trailer. Additionally it was used to keep progress of our ancillary texts, the Horror Poster and the Horror magazine cover. The blog also allows subscribers and viewers to give feedback in a comments box, which is situated underneath every blog post.

Photoshop is the program used by many professionals such as graphic designers, video editors and art students to manipulate and enhance photos. In my project it was used for many purposes, to create the ancillary texts such as the Horror Poster and the Horror magazine cover. I found it difficult to use Photoshop as I had not used in a long time since my first media project however, as soon as I used the program I became familiar with its language and functions. Interestingly, I used Photoshop to create a significantly interesting mood board where I brainstormed images in a collage format to trigger different ideas and inspirations about horror.
 
Planning and research: Blackberry is a modern technology used significantly by the urban teenager/young adult demographic. It is a ‘Smart Phone’, which consists of the feature IM (instant messenger) also known as BBM (Blackberry Messenger). With Instant messenger promotion for my product has become extremely simple and easy. It has a feature called broadcast where you can type up a message and send it to all the contact on your BBM.  Thus, when promoting my Horror Trailer I was able to copy the video link off of YouTube and send it so that everyone on my BBM can see.

Google is a search engine used by most people all over the world. It contains features such a ‘search bar’ that you can type in any keyword relative to the information you desire and in response the engine will suggest millions of websites related to you search. It is effective as it makes research relatively easy however, it could be argued that it encourages people to be lazy as the Internet is only one source of information, which may deter people from doing primary research with resources such as books and newspapers.
I used Google to find some really interesting images, which helped as inspiration for my group to create the ancillary texts; I also used it to find websites, which provided inspiration for my group to create the teaser trailer such as ‘YouTube’. On this site I was able to search up some existing horror teaser trailer and get ideas on how I could create the soundtrack and ideas on editing. For Photoshop I needed some interesting fonts, so in the Google search bar I typed in ‘Photoshop fonts’ and the website ‘DaFont.com’ came up. On this website it provides a variety of different fonts and font themes. For example, for my product I need a font with a digital format, and so on the website I chose the ‘Techno’ theme which had a category of fonts called ‘LCD’. This is where I found the font for my product entitled ‘Liquid Crystal’. Downloading fonts are free however you have the option to donate to the creator of the font. Similarly, I needed nice brushes for my product and so I types in Photoshop brushes into the search engine on Google and the website ‘Brusheezy.com’ appeared which enabled me to download brushes in the same way I was able to download fonts on ‘Dafont.com’.

Distribution: Face book and Twitter are both social networking websites where people can publish information, pictures and videos to all their friends. This is a good platform of promotion as you can have up to 5000 friends and on twitter these friends are called Followers. This means that from one ‘Tweet’ or broadcast 5000 people will be able to view my trailer and if they choose to ‘ReTweet’ or ‘rebroadcast’ my post everyone on their friends list will also be able to view my trailer, friends from all over the world!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment